What is a Team Health Check?
The Team Health Check is a specialised self- assessment tool for agile project teams who are looking to improve the way they work together to meet project outcomes and goals.
You can provide each team member with the opportunity to share openly and honestly whether they are in the same room or distributed around the world. All ideas are shared and tallied in real-time.
Instant, visual, tallied results that can be sorted allows better facilitated meetings and discussions, giving you better information to run plays, develop growth strategies and address team impediments. Changes can be tracked over time so that the team can see progression or identify new areas for improvement.
Team Health Check dimensions
The Team Health Check model uses a set of common dimensions that teams can use to evaluate and discover the current health of the team, giving greater clarity as to what is driving the motivation and success of your team. For new teams, scrum masters and agile coaches, this provides an excellent starting point and can be adjusted to fit your team dynamics.
How to run a Squad Health Check in TeamRetro
Your Health Check Template is ready to go.
Log into TeamRetro and choose the Health Check template you would like to use then click Start HealthCheck.
Reveal and discuss the results
All the results are tallied instantly and visualised using a traffic light and emoticons to keep things clear and simple. Automatically sort the dimensions if you would rather discuss the most positive, the most negative or the most mixed responses first. Sparklines show you the trends based on previous health checks.
Keep conversation on track with Presentation Mode
Switch to presentation mode to take the team through each dimension one-by-one and keep the conversation focused. Everyone’s device will be synched to follow along making it easier to facilitate. Capture comments and actions along the way so all the important things are captured.
Review your action plan
After you have finished the discussion, you can review overall action plan. Assign action owners and set due dates for additional accountability. You can also review your existing team actions from prior retrospectives or health checks.
Share the results
Great work, you are all done! Share the results with your team or download your actions in Microsoft Excel, CSV or PDF format. The results from your Health Check are added to your dashboard so you can track how your team progresses over time and visualise change.
Tips for running an effective Team Health Check
- Share and discuss the health dimensions as part of your first health check meeting.
- The best results come if people are honest, open and courageous. If you need something to help them get there, set your health check to be anonymous or use aliases.
- During the survey, people should be quickly, silently and independently sharing their ideas. This is not the time to try and solve the problem.
- Encourage open conversation by setting the cadence for discussion and having the right room for discussion.
- End with an agreed action plan, appreciation, and feedback for the next health check. Don’t forget, you can always create your own custom health check to track based on the dynamics and feedback of the team.