What is Music Band retrospective?
The Music Band retrospective offers a novel approach to reviewing a sprint. Like a band on tour, the team brainstorms ways to enhance their next performance.
Music’s transformative power doesn’t have to be limited to your downtime. It can apply to your retros too. Music has the potential to bring people together with a shared rhythm. It can shape experiences, spark memories and inspire creativity.
This format can be a fun way to break the ice. It can get everyone thinking creatively about what helped them find their rhythm, what threw them off, what gave them goosebumps, and what they could do differently in the next sprint to improve.
Music Band retrospective format
Rhythm And Flow
What helped us find rhythm? What helped us focus? How did we know when things were working?
What made us play off beat? What caused us to lose focus? What didn’t quite align?
What was your goosebumps moment? What was your highlight? What was special about the last sprint?
What should we try for our next jam? How do we keep the rhythm going?
Suggested icebreaker questions for the Music Band retrospective
- Do you work better with or without music?
- What is your work anthem?
- What isn’t the same without music?
Apply the Music Band retrospective to your upcoming weekend. Define your rhythm and flow, off-beat, goosebumps, and next session.
Ideas and tips for your Music Band retrospective
- Set the stage. Create a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere that encourages open communication.
- Nominate a DJ for the retrospective. Their job is to provide music while the team brainstorms.
- Ask the right questions. Ask questions that encourage the team to think critically about what went well and what could be improved.
- Encourage participation. Make sure everyone is heard and that each team member feels comfortable sharing their ideas.
- Brainstorm ideas. Use the music to inspire creative thinking and the discussion to come up with actionable ideas for improvement.
How to run a Music Band retrospective in TeamRetro
Start your retrospective in a click
Log into TeamRetro and choose your sprint retrospective template.
Discuss the most important things first
You and your team discuss the top voted ideas and can capture deep dive comments. Presentation mode allows you to walk your team through ideas one-by-one and keep the conversation focused.
Review and create actions
Easily facilitate discussion by bringing everyone onto the same page. Create action items, assign owners and due dates that will carry through for review at the next retrospective.
Share the results
Once you have finished your retro, you can share the results and actions with the team. Your retro will be stored so you can revisit them as needed.